November 22nd, 2013
We’re excited to announce our newest venture…
Talener “After Hours” is a new bimonthly event series dedicated to connecting our employees, clients, consultants, candidates, and like-minded tech pros in an informal post-work setting. Our group is targeted to professionals at all skill levels and in all industries and will feature a blend of speakers, open discussions, product demos, Q&A’s, and similarly engaging sessions.
In our 1st session on December 11 at 6:30pm, expert recruiters in each of our offices will present an engaging evening on the top 10 ways to kick start your New Year’s job hunt. Grab a bite, a brew, and learn what our hottest clients are looking for in their search for top tech talent! The presentation should last around 20 minutes before we open the floor for open discussion and networking.
For more info and to RSVP to the event in your local city, check our Eventbrite page: http://www.eventbrite.com/org/5434939113
We look forward to seeing you there!
Tags: Events, job search, tech events
Posted in Career Tips, Company News, Current Events, Events, News, Talener Blog
October 29th, 2013
Trying to hire really talented software developers continues to get harder and harder. The market is so strong nowadays that the industry has labeled employed candidates looking for new jobs as “Passive Candidates.” And let’s face it, 99% of great software developers are employed, so therefore, 99% of software engineers on the market are “Passive Candidates” (PC).
Here are a few tips that have helped our clients hire more of these “Passive Candidates.”
- Momentum: Keeping up excitement and interest is imperative throughout the entire process. From the time you talk to a “PC” about the job, to the time they come into the office for a 1st interview, to time to the “PC” has their 2nd interview, and the time to offer, energy is key. When it comes to the process, the chase is half of the battle.
- Process: Have your interview process well-defined and make sure that all of the decision makers are available, in town, and ready to play their part in this story. “PCs” are looking at the interviewing process as an example of how decisions are made and how things get done at the company. Be organized, prepared, and ready to act.
- Offers: Make an offer, be ready to make a counter-offer, and then get the offer letter out. Clearly overpaying will help you get the deal closed, but most of the time it is not really about the extra money or extra week of vacation. Instead, candidates want to think that they negotiated and didn’t leave anything on the table. As with a hot housing market, competition is fierce and first offers are rarely accepted. In order to contend and close the deal, be ready to act swiftly.
These are 3 simple things that you can do to convert more “PCs” into hires. For more information on this topic, please feel free to reach out to me anytime @michaeldsupin.
Tags: Hiring tips, jobs, Offers, Passive Candidates, technology
Posted in Candidate of the month, Career Tips, News, Talener Blog
October 28th, 2013
What makes a great developer?
Last Thursday, I attended the Business Insider StartUp 2013 Conference, http://www.businessinsider.com/event/startup2013
I attended a class run by Peter Bell titled, Outsourcing and Managing Software Development. It was extremely insightful and I wanted to share some notes around the question: What makes a great developer?
3 Ps- Programming, Professionalism, Product
1) Programming- hardest to determine, give the developer a project to work on, like a bug tracking system, pay them $1,500 to see how you’d interact with them before making a fulltime offer
2) Professionalism- meaning a professional developer should do the following:
A) Test Driven Development-
B) Unit Test
C) Break project into working code
D) Have a GitHub account
4) Product- they should have a really good sense of the product and understand it, what problems are you solving
Thanks Peter for the insight and I hope that other people use your 3 P approach to identifying talent.
Tags: Hiring tips, jobs, screening, technoolgy
Posted in Career Tips, News, Talener Blog