February 8, 2013 by Chris F
Why do programmers prefer Python over PHP, Perl, or Ruby? Python is an Open Source language that many developers love to work with because of how ‘simple and easy’ it is to use. Python can be used with many different programs and is a language that runs quickly.
- Python is a programming language.
- Let’s you work more quickly and integrate your systems more effectively.
- Python will allow you to see almost immediate gains in productivity and lower maintenance costs.
- Python runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, and has been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines.
- Python is free to use because of its OPL- Open Source License
- Python supports multiple programming paradigms including object-oriented, imperative and functional programming styles.
- It features a fully dynamic type system and automatic memory management, similar to that of Scheme, Ruby, Perl, and Tcl.
- Python is often used as a scripting language.
“Python is flexible”
-The language itself is a flexible powerhouse that can handle practically any problem domain. Build your own web server in three lines of code.
“Python is fast”
-Python lets you write the code you need, quickly. And, thanks to a highly optimized byte compiler and support libraries, Python code runs more than fast enough for most applications.
“Python plays well with others”
-For Java libraries, use Jython, an implementation of Python for the Java Virtual Machine.
-Python is also supported for the Internet Communications Engine (ICE) and many other integration technologies.
“Python runs everywhere”
-Python is available for all major operating systems: Windows, Linux/Unix, OS/2, Mac, Amiga, among others. There are even versions that run on .NET and the Java virtual machine. You’ll be pleased to know that the same source code will run unchanged across all implementations.
“Python is friendly… and easy to learn”
-Python comes with complete documentation, both integrated into the language and as separate web pages. Online tutorials target both the seasoned programmer and the newcomer. All are designed to make you productive quickly.
“Python is Open”
-The Python implementation is under an open source license that makes it freely usable and distributable, even for commercial use.
-a web framework designed to help you build complex web applications simply and quickly and is written in the Python programming language.
Some of its key distinguishing features include:
- very clear, readable syntax
- strong introspection capabilities
- intuitive object orientation
- natural expression of procedural code
- exception-based error handling
- very high level dynamic data types
- extensive standard libraries and third party modules for virtually every task
- extensions and modules easily written in C, C++ (or Java for Jython, or .NET languages for IronPython)
- embeddable within applications as a scripting interface
Overall, Python is known to be a clear and easy language to learn and often favorited by open source developers. Many finance and start-up companies are known to choose Python over other languages. Below is a site that compares the PHP, Ruby, and Python. The site shows the differences between the purposes as well as certain examples of sites built off of these programming languages.